THE CHAMPS!

Lady Rebels win Division IV Select softball title

The+Lady+Rebels+brought+home+the+Division+IV+Select+state+championship+trophy.+

The Lady Rebels brought home the Division IV Select state championship trophy.

Noah Trepagnier, Sports Editor

The last time the Riverside Academy Lady Rebels won a softball state championship, none of the students in school were born yet.

It was 21 years ago.

But the Lady Rebels ended that drought Saturday, winning the LHSAA Division IV Select state championship with a 5-0 win over No. 1 seed Catholic High of Pointe Coupee at Frasch Park in Sulphur. The last time Riverside won the state title was in 2002. The Lady Rebels were runners-up in 2017.

Pitcher Amber Palermo dominated the game with an exceptional performance. She pitched a complete game shutout, giving up only three hits and striking out two on 85 pitches. She was named the game’s Most Outstanding Player.

After three scoreless innings, Corrin Cashio hit a double and Emily Vicknair drove her in to put the Rebels ahead 1-0. Olivia St. Pierre then hit a solo home run to make it 2-0. In the fifth inning, Anna Mistretta successfully made it to the base and was able to score thanks to an error. St. Pierre then hit a 2-run double, bringing the score to 5-0.

Palermo said that coach Tamra Regalo told her she would get the start, but she was surprised she got to finish.

“I just did my job,” Palermo said.

Senior first baseman Alainah Felton said she was not nervous at all on Saturday.

“I was confident we were going to bring the trophy home,” Felton said. “I felt the performance was good and the outfield was on point, just as the infield was. We were all locked in.”

Riverside, the No. 2 seed, reached the final game by beating No. 3 St. Frederick’s 7-4 on Friday, April 28 in the semifinals. Camryn Loving hit a home run. Mistretta hit a pair of doubles for one RBI, Cashio had two RBIs, and Felton had two hits, including a double. Ava Fernandez  also drove in a run.

Pitcher Kylie Bordelon threw six innings, allowing four runs (three earned) on five hits. She walked three and struck out five.