En Francais, s’il vous plait

Former students return to sing with French class

Mr.+Coy+Boes+French+classes+sang+French+songs+with+former+students+Miah+Vicknair+and+Byron+Gilcrease.+

Mr. Coy Boe’s French classes sang French songs with former students Miah Vicknair and Byron Gilcrease.

Staff reports

Former Riverside Academy students Miah Vicknair and Byron Gilcrease graduated together in 2018, but both were happy to return to their alma mater on May 2 for a special encore performance.  Vicknair, a former French student of Mr. Coy Boe, and Gilcrease visited to sing a few songs in French to this year’s French students. The song list included “Ma Louisiane,” a French version of John Denver’s “Take Me Home Country Roads,” and the classroom staples, “Alouette” and “Frere Jacques.”

Since graduating, Vicknair and Gilcrease have joined together as a performance duo, playing at restaurants and other venues around the area. The two were slated to perform on the stage at last month’s Spring Fest, but a rainstorm canceled their gig. While waiting out the weather, they happened to run into Boe and offered to come sing for his students.

“It was truly rewarding for me as a French teacher to have Miah, a former student, offer to return to Riverside Academy to play and sing some French songs that she learned eight years ago with my current students,” Boe said. “Although I did not teach Byron, it was wonderful to have him return to Riverside to share his musical talents as well. Quel événement magnifique!”

“It was amazing,” said freshman French student Bailey Epperly. “They both have beautiful voices. My favorite song is ‘Frere Jacques.'”

Check out the video.