Rebels Go Remote

Spike in Covid cases forces middle and high school back to virtual learning this week

Staff report

A spike in positive Covid cases and the number of quarantined students pushed the Riverside Academy administration to announce Sunday that the middle and high schools would switch to virtual learning from Jan. 10 -18. Jan. 17 is a national holiday to honor the Rev. Martin Luther King. The school is to receive a deep cleaning during the week to help insure safety.

PreK through 5th grade students are not affected by the change and should report to campus as normal.

Students will receive daily instruction from their teachers by logging on to Google Meets at their regular class times beginning Jan. 11. Parents and students also were urged to check PlusPortals for assignments. Students who need an electronic device or materials from their lockers could pick one up from school on Jan. 10.

“Our intention is not to disrupt the current learning process of the students, but to maintain a safe learning environment for all,” read a letter sent to all parents on Sunday. “You and your family are a blessing to all of us here at Riverside Academy.”

All scheduled athletic events will continue, but no spectators will be allowed in the gym for games.