The Student News Site of Riverside Academy

The Rebel Express

• April 22Zombie Prom, May 2-4, St. John Theatre
  • April 22Zombie Prom tickets on sale now! Advance $12
  • April 22Baseball playoff game, Friday at Vermilion Catholic, 6 p.m.

The Rebel Express

The Rebel Express

Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 29
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 29
April 9, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier talks to Riverside Academy band director and RA Ovations director Darryl Clement about the upcoming spring...

Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 28
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 28
March 7, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels Podcast host Noah Trepagnier talks to Riverside Academy softball coach Tamra Regalo about the thrill of winning last year's Division...

Cole Haase
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 27
February 23, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier visits with Riverside Academy senior golfer Cole Haase to talk about his golf game, his future at Loyola...

Senior Queen Dixie XLIII Corrin Cashio and  King Chance Montelius reigned over the Krewe Bord de Leau on Jan. 27. Ramblin Rebels host Noah Trepagnier served as an usher.
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 26
January 30, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier spent some time with Krewe Bord de L'eau's Queen Dixie XLIII Corrin Cashio and King Rebel XLIII Chance Montelius,...

Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 25
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 25
December 6, 2023

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier visits with Riverside Academy football players Dedric Lastie, Jaedon Butler and Brock Bourgeois ahead of...

SILVER SUCCESS

Rebels finish successful season as state runner-up
The+Rebels+take+the+field+in+the+Caesars+Superdome+for+their+final+against+Southern+Lab.+
Chloe St. Pierre
The Rebels take the field in the Caesars Superdome for their final against Southern Lab.

Coach Lee Roussel in his second year as coach of the Rebels, led the Riverside Academy football team to the Division IV Select state championship for the first time in seven years.

The Rebels unfortunately came up short in a disappointing 42-35 back-and-forth contest against the Southern Lab Kittens. The Rebels fought hard and had an electric first quarter, scoring  on touchdown passes to tight end Brennan Maus. But the Kittens came back to score 27-unanswered points before the half.

Riverside rallied for two touchdowns in the third quarter and another to open the fourth to regain the lead, but Southern Lab scored a pair of touchdowns in the final minutes to take the win.

Rebels running back Dedric Lastie rushed for 111 yards and three touchdowns on 18 carries. He finished with 227 all-purpose yards and was voted the Rebels Outstanding Player of the Game as he finished his junior season with 2,528 rushing yards and 41 touchdowns. Rebels quarterback Brock Bourgeois threw for 281 yards and one touchdown, going 19-of-34 with one interception.

The Rebels defense came up big in the third quarter shutting out the Kittens. Kaden Brumfield stopped a Southern Lab drive with an interception at the 5-yard line.

The Rebels finished their season 12-2.

The Rebels hoist their state runner-up trophy on the field of the Superdome on Thursday, Dec. 7.

The game was especially memorable for senior kicker/offensive lineman Craig Matt, who got to play in the Dome with his younger brother Cameron, who had a big catch on third-and-long in the third quarter.

“I was very proud of him for stepping up as his first year as a starter,” Craig Matt said. “It was a great moment to play in the Superdome with him in my senior year.”

“Every team in the state puts pads on in August with the same goal in mind – to get to the Superdome and win a state championship.” said Coach Pierce Bonck, the offensive line coach. “To get so close and end up one possession away from reaching that goal is definitely heartbreaking, but when we got back to Riverside Thursday night and saw the community there to cheer us on, it reminded me how much of a success these last two years have been. It’s a reminder how important these last two senior classes have been to this program and this community.”

“I’m very proud of our team, school, and community,” said Coach Lee Roussel. “Our seniors, in two short years, took our team to the very last game. I thought our team showed a lot of toughness coming out of the half down two scores and competing to the very last drive. Our players have a lot to be proud of and I’m excited to get back to work with our young guys.”