The Student News Site of Riverside Academy

The Rebel Express

• April 22Zombie Prom, May 2-4, St. John Theatre
  • April 22Zombie Prom tickets on sale now! Advance $12
  • April 22Baseball playoff game, Friday at Vermilion Catholic, 6 p.m.

The Rebel Express

The Rebel Express

Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 29
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 29
April 9, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier talks to Riverside Academy band director and RA Ovations director Darryl Clement about the upcoming spring...

Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 28
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 28
March 7, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels Podcast host Noah Trepagnier talks to Riverside Academy softball coach Tamra Regalo about the thrill of winning last year's Division...

Cole Haase
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 27
February 23, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier visits with Riverside Academy senior golfer Cole Haase to talk about his golf game, his future at Loyola...

Senior Queen Dixie XLIII Corrin Cashio and  King Chance Montelius reigned over the Krewe Bord de Leau on Jan. 27. Ramblin Rebels host Noah Trepagnier served as an usher.
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 26
January 30, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier spent some time with Krewe Bord de L'eau's Queen Dixie XLIII Corrin Cashio and King Rebel XLIII Chance Montelius,...

Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 25
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 25
December 6, 2023

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier visits with Riverside Academy football players Dedric Lastie, Jaedon Butler and Brock Bourgeois ahead of...

MURAL MAKERS

RA students and staff come together to create art mural
Kerri+Roussel+asked+all+Riverside+students+and+staff+to+create+a+part+of+this+mural+in+the+cafeteria.+
Brooklyn Williams
Kerri Roussel asked all Riverside students and staff to create a part of this mural in the cafeteria.

Riverside Academy art teacher Kerri Roussel’s was intrigued when she was scrolling through Facebook one night and came across a post about a project that a principal used to unite his school’s students and staff. With Riverside Academy’s 2023-2024 slogan “Together We Grow” in mind, Roussel created her own idea.

She envisioned a mural that every student and staff member contribute to, creating one work of art.

“I realized that this would be a great way for our school to showcase our united front and how working together as one we can achieve greatness,” Roussel said.

Roussel pitched the idea to principal Holly Haase, who thought it was an amazing idea. They began working on it during their teacher workshop days, showing the design to the staff and explaining how it would come together.

Roussel asked all the teachers to help put together the project by having their homeroom students design and color one-fourth of a circle in a creative way that expressed them as individuals. Roussel then took all the pieces from each homeroom, mixed them up, and used the pieces to create a full circle. The end result, now visible on the cafeteria wall, was a stunning quilt-like mural made with love by all of the Riverside Academy family.

“I am ecstatic how the mural came out,” Roussel said.

And it’s not finished yet. Roussel said she plans to create more pieces to fill up as many walls in the cafeteria as she can with help from all of the school’s students and faculty.

“I am hoping for more people to join in to complete more pieces,” Roussel said.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Rebel Express
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Riverside Academy and cover our annual website hosting costs.