A Memorable Trip

RA Ovations’ Wizard of Oz Had Something For Everyone

Mason+Forsythe%2C+Gabrielle+Treas%2C+Andrew+Jung+and+Emile+Graugnard+portrayed+the+loveable+main+characters+in+RA+Ovations+production+of+The+Wizard+of+Oz.+

Ronald Jung

Mason Forsythe, Gabrielle Treas, Andrew Jung and Emile Graugnard portrayed the loveable main characters in RA Ovations production of The Wizard of Oz.

Kallie Bourgeois, Contributor

Introduction: 

RA Ovation’s spring musical “The Wizard of Oz” concluded on Saturday, May 7 after putting on a fantastic production in the Riverside gym. The adaptation of the beloved 1939 musical film was portrayed perfectly. 

Summary:

When Dorothy Gale (played by Gabby Treas) and her dog Toto (played by Paisley Wheelahan) try to escape Mrs. Gultch (played by Alyssa Haase), they get swept up in the cyclone in Kansas and end up in the magical land of Oz. Dorothy’s house accidently dropped on the Wicked Witch of the East in Munchkin land,  killing her. When the Wicked Witch of the West (played by Kaylee Oubre) wants revenge for her sister’s death, she attempts to take her sister’s ruby slippers, but with the help of Glinda the Good Witch (played by Jaycee Bennett) Dorothy took the slippers. Glinda and the Munchkins tell Dorothy to get home, she and Toto must follow the Yellow Brick road to Oz to talk to the Wizard. 

Along the way to Oz, they meet the Scarecrow (played by Emile Graugnard), who needs a brain, the Tinman (played by Andrew Jung) who needs a heart, and the Cowardly Lion (played by Mason Forsythe) who needs courage. The Emerald City Guard (played by Taye Drake) takes Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tinman, and Lion to see the Wizard of Oz (played by Thomas Mazzella IV). The Wizard, who is just a loud voice and floating head, asks the group to retrieve the Wicked Witch’s broomstick in order to earn his help, while the Wicked Witch sends flying monkeys and dancing bugs to stop them. Dorothy then gets kidnapped and the Scarecrow, Lion, and Tinman follow the Winkies, the Wicked Witch’s guards, back to her castle to save her. When they break into the castle, the Wicked Witch puts up a fight and Dorothy ends up melting her with a bucket of water. The Winkies hand Dorothy the broomstick as a token of their gratitude for setting them free from the Witch, then the group heads back to Oz. 

However, the Wizard refuses to help them after the deal.  Toto pulls back a curtain revealing that the wizard is just a man, with no power at all. The Wizard then holds his end of the deal and gives the Scarecrow a diploma, the Tinman a heart-shaped clock, and the Lion a medal for his bravery. When the three question how he will help Dorothy and Toto get home to Kansas he then explains he can take her himself. All the Ozians then gather to wish Dorothy and the Wizard farewell, but the Wizard ends up leaving without Dorothy and Toto. Glinda appears and explains that all Dorothy needs to do to go home is click her heels together three times and say “There’s no place like home.” 

Dorothy and Toto then wake up in her bed in Kansas surrounded by Auntie Em (played by Alexis Bearden), Uncle Henry (played by Mr. DiMaggio), and Professor Marvel (played by Mason Meyer). They convince Dorothy that it was all just a dream but, when they exit the room and get back to work on the farm, Dorothy gets out to bed and discovers the ruby slippers under her bed. 

The cast of The Wizard of Oz. (Ron Jung)

Cast Review:

The cast was chosen perfectly and the acting was outstanding, with many performers taking on more than one role. The emotion that Gabby Treas gave off while portraying Dorothy, Emile Graugnard’s brainless Scarecrow and Mason Forsythe’s take on Lion’s loveable attitude were all memorable. Kaylee Oubre did an outstanding job as the Wicked Witch and truly portrayed her as wicked, but the exuberant portrayal sometimes made it difficult to understand her lines.  Andrew Jung’s Tinman was full of life and little Paisley Wheelahan was adorable as Toto. Taye Drake surprised everyone with his expression as the Emerald City guard. 

Background Production Review:

This was the third time that Mr. Clement directed “The Wizard of Oz” for RA and was outstanding as always, even with the production forced to relocate to the smaller Riverside gymnasium. The set, music, lights, costumes, and makeup all gave off that magical “Wizard of Oz” feel. The painted sets were creatively designed and beautifully painted. Although there were some technical difficulties with the music and lights, the production still looked great. The costumes were amazing and the makeup done by Jenna Roussel was beautiful. From barely being able to do the simplest of dance moves, to pulling off the Jitterbug dance was incredible. The hard work behind the scenes really paid off this year. Mr. Clement, the cast members, the volunteers, and the audience made this year’s spring musical “The Wizard of Oz” a success!