The Student News Site of Riverside Academy

The Rebel Express

• April 22Zombie Prom, May 2-4, St. John Theatre
  • April 22Zombie Prom tickets on sale now! Advance $12
  • April 22Baseball playoff game, Friday at Vermilion Catholic, 6 p.m.

The Rebel Express

The Rebel Express

Detention Intervention

A student reflects on lessons learned in detention
Detention+Intervention

Now I know this looks bad, but hear me out. I understand that curse words are not acceptable to say in school, but I promise I did not say it with malicious intent. Now that I got that out of the way, let me tell you how I ended up here. 

After a long lunch, my friends and I went to our sixth period Biology class. Our teacher informed us that we would work in groups that day, rather than doing notes like usual. Of course, this filled the whole class with excitement as we rushed to pick our partners. I turned around to see my friend staring at me with a smile, knowing that we would already be partners.  Looking back on it now, that probably was not the best decision on my part, considering she is louder than me.

While doing the project, our minds slipped away from the assignment and started a conversation that was not relevant to the topic of the class whatsoever. This conversation grew throughout the rest of the groups around us, and other people began to chime in. As we were all giving our own opinions, this girl behind me proceeded to say the dumbest thing I have ever heard. It was so dumb that it made my brain hurt, therefore I forgot that I was still in class. My brain then produced a sentence, that I will not be repeating, but just know it was not nice. As the words flew out of my mouth with ease, the class decided to become quiet. My voice seemed to echo throughout the whole room. “Now this class decides to shut up,” I thought to myself, as my face turned bright red. The teacher’s face seemed to glow with excitement like she was patiently waiting for someone to slip up. Immediately, I started to beg for forgiveness and it seemed like it was working. The teacher stayed silent and continued to type on her computer. Phew, I am in the clear — or so I thought. 

After 20 minutes of worrying nonstop, the period was finally over. As I packed my stuff and began to walk out the door, I heard words that will forever haunt me: “Go see the disciplinarian.” My heart sanks to my stomach, as I took what feels like a walk of shame to his office.

“I’ve never been here for something like this,” I thought to myself as I stepped foot into his office.

“How are you doing?” he says to me, obviously oblivious to what I have done. “What can I help you with?” he asks as I stand there sweating bullets.

“I was told to come here,” I said with a shaky voice.

Still not understanding why I am in his office, he checked his email to  find a write-up with my name all over it. “Now, why would you say that?” he said with a disappointed look on his face. I  started to babble on and on about how I did not mean it, and how it just slipped. He stopped me and said, “You are better than this.” That sentence brought waves of guilt and embarrassment throughout my whole body. “I have never been told that ever in my life,” I thought with a look of pure shock on my face. I then felt like I was in prison as he told me the charges for my offenses — detention. 

So now you know how I ended up here. Yes, me, the girl who has been on every honor roll list since the day she was born, the girl that has never gone  to the principal’s office a day in her life, sitting with a bunch of people who are basically pros at detention at this point. As the teacher starts to call roll to make sure all of her inmates are in the class, her eyes widen as she stares at the list in awe. She then looks up to see my face and proceeds to say, “Why are you in here?” In that moment I second guessed every decision I have ever made in my life. 

Now I am here, finishing my story, waiting for my sentence to be over. I know I have to serve my time like everyone else, but come on now. Anyways, my time is almost up, I hope everyone realizes that actions have consequences. It was fun while I was here, but I am glad to say I will never see myself here again.