The Student News Site of Riverside Academy

The Rebel Express

• April 22Zombie Prom, May 2-4, St. John Theatre
  • April 22Zombie Prom tickets on sale now! Advance $12
  • April 22Baseball playoff game, Friday at Vermilion Catholic, 6 p.m.

The Rebel Express

The Rebel Express

Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 29
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 29
April 9, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier talks to Riverside Academy band director and RA Ovations director Darryl Clement about the upcoming spring...

Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 28
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 28
March 7, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels Podcast host Noah Trepagnier talks to Riverside Academy softball coach Tamra Regalo about the thrill of winning last year's Division...

Cole Haase
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 27
February 23, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier visits with Riverside Academy senior golfer Cole Haase to talk about his golf game, his future at Loyola...

Senior Queen Dixie XLIII Corrin Cashio and  King Chance Montelius reigned over the Krewe Bord de Leau on Jan. 27. Ramblin Rebels host Noah Trepagnier served as an usher.
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 26
January 30, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier spent some time with Krewe Bord de L'eau's Queen Dixie XLIII Corrin Cashio and King Rebel XLIII Chance Montelius,...

Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 25
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 25
December 6, 2023

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier visits with Riverside Academy football players Dedric Lastie, Jaedon Butler and Brock Bourgeois ahead of...

First Person: Five, Six, Seven, Eight

Southern Sweetheart shares dance team experience
Junior Teryn Davis is a member of the Southern Sweethearts

Taking those first steps on the floor may be one of the most nerve-racking experiences of my life.

I can remember how hard it was for my mind and my heart to interlink in order to tell a story through my body for a group of judges who only saw me for a minute or two. The constant noise and thoughts fluttering through my mind had me praying that I don’t make a mistake or forget a major change. I tell myself, “I have to be perfect for not only myself but for others.”

Friday Night Lights, consisted of red and blue sequined costumes, white gloves, and leather boots illuminated by the stadium lights. A full face of makeup was drowned with setting spray to prevent the sweat that my body produces.

Teryn Davis performs a stunt with the Southern Sweethearts.

People say, “Dance is not a sport. You do not work as hard as any other athlete.”  Dance may look beautiful on the outside, however the inside perspective is not always as pretty. Does every dancer believe this statement, or is it just a mental fixation my mind has created? This is not my first year of the dance team. This is my junior year and second year of Southern Sweethearts, but since I am growing up I have to adapt to different maturity levels. It has been a major learning experience for myself as a dancer and a human being, constantly pushing myself beyond my mental limitations and trying to improve more and more every day. From developing friendships with individuals who have the same passion as me, to influencing younger generations who are afraid of being judged because of that same passion. I dance to escape from the real world and tell stories without having to say one word. You may not know who I am as a person but you know what I bring to the table once the music turns on — sixteen years of blood, sweat, and a ton of tears. Tough love coming from my coaches who already have seen my potential and just want me to believe it. Countless hours of body aches, bruises, and cramps. But this is not a “sport.”

I will always appreciate the ones who have supported me throughout this entire journey, like my high school coaches, studio coaches, teammates, and family. Dance made me who I am today. This sport has made me a very successful individual. Needless to say, without a core foundation you can’t continue to build in places that have been broken and destroyed. However, you can make a change by throwing your dance shoes on and taking your first step forward.

Teryn Davis performs with the band.
View Comments (2)
Donate to The Rebel Express
$700
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Riverside Academy and cover our annual website hosting costs.