The Student News Site of Riverside Academy

The Rebel Express

• April 29State Golf, Monday & Tuesday, Lafayette
  • April 29Academic Signing Day, Wednesday, 8:30 a.m.
  • April 22Zombie Prom, May 2-4, St. John Theatre

The Rebel Express

The Rebel Express

Polls

What are your plans for the summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 29
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 29
April 9, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier talks to Riverside Academy band director and RA Ovations director Darryl Clement about the upcoming spring...

Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 28
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 28
March 7, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels Podcast host Noah Trepagnier talks to Riverside Academy softball coach Tamra Regalo about the thrill of winning last year's Division...

Cole Haase
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 27
February 23, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier visits with Riverside Academy senior golfer Cole Haase to talk about his golf game, his future at Loyola...

Senior Queen Dixie XLIII Corrin Cashio and  King Chance Montelius reigned over the Krewe Bord de Leau on Jan. 27. Ramblin Rebels host Noah Trepagnier served as an usher.
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 26
January 30, 2024

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier spent some time with Krewe Bord de L'eau's Queen Dixie XLIII Corrin Cashio and King Rebel XLIII Chance Montelius,...

Ramblin Rebels Podcast No. 25
Ramblin' Rebels Podcast No. 25
December 6, 2023

Ramblin' Rebels host Noah Trepagnier visits with Riverside Academy football players Dedric Lastie, Jaedon Butler and Brock Bourgeois ahead of...

First Person: Distance running is no easy feat

The+life+of+a+distance+runner+can+be+pretty+lonely.+
Loni Bourgeois
The life of a distance runner can be pretty lonely.

“First Call 1600-meter run.” 

Time to go! I grab my spikes and head off to the announcer’s table to check in. I confirm my entry into the second longest race of the evening. 

“Name?” the meet official asks. 

“Kasey Bourgeois from Riverside.” 

I’m a distance runner, but I bet you don’t know how I got myself into this.  My mom was a distance runner in high school. A few years ago, she would sign us up for 5K races ‘“for fun.” I mostly agreed to run them for the post-race snacks. 

“Second call 1600-meter run.” 

Time to put these spikes on and stretch. I’ve been running this event for years, and didn’t know distance spikes were a thing until last track season. They are game changers. 

“Third and final call, 1600-meter run.” 

Do I have time to go to the bathroom? Maybe I shouldn’t have drunk so much of that loaded tea. Oh well, no time for that now. The nerves are starting to kick in. That’s the same feeling I got in seventh grade when Coach KD told me that I would run the 1600-meter race in my first ever track meet. Fast forward and I’m still the only girl distance runner on the varsity track team. It gets boring sometimes, running around in circles. 

“Girls 1600-meter run on the track.” 

I place my race number on my left hip and line up for the waterfall start. I say a quick prayer and wait for the gun. 

“Boom!” 

The gun goes off, and I start running. The runner in front of me hits the ground. “Boom! Boom! Boom!” 

We have to restart. We all head back to the start line. The girl is OK, except a few scratches that had to be bandaged up. “Okay girls. Let’s try this again,” said the starter. “Remember, merge SAFELY.” 

“Boom!” 

And off we go. People say the goal of running is to be faster than your previous race. But I want to win, and if I get a PR in the process that’s even better. Extra motivation is that if I can beat my mom’s 1600 meter time, I’ll get some cash.

“Lap 1” 

When I run, I like to start in the last spot and work my way up. I managed to pass up two girls in the first curve. I did exactly what Coach Doona told me not to do: “Pass on the straight away, not on the curve.” Oops. I’m sure he’ll remind me of that after the race. 

“Lap 2” 

I pass up two more girls, but this time on the back stretch. I’m now in third place. My breathing is a little heavier and my legs a little more tired, but I cross the finish line into the third lap. The RA fans are cheering me on. 

“Lap 3” 

I start seeing a shadow behind me. The fourth place runner is gaining  on me. Halfway through the third lap, she is right on my heels. I check my watch. I better hurry this up. No way I’m going to PR or beat anyone with this time right now. 

“Lap 4” 

It’s time to go. I’m completely drained of energy. With 200 meters left, the first girl passed me up then the second. I sprint to the finish line with a fifth place finish. 

I fall to the ground. My legs are numb and soon the soreness will be setting in. Eventually, I catch my breath and waddle over to Coach Pierce and Coach Doona. I was milliseconds from a PR. I try to be happy with my time, but I’m upset about those two girls passing me up on the last lap. 

Last year, for the district track meet, I ran the 1600-meter race. Even though I ran a PR, it wasn’t enough to move on to regionals. I was in the last qualifying spot until the last 100 meters, when a girl from St. Martin’s passed me and advanced. I’ve used that experience to train harder and run faster. 

Our district track meet is on April 17 at St. Martin’s. I’ll be running the 1600-meter race and the 3200-meter race. Hopefully I can stay up with the fourth person and pass them up at the end. I feel that I am more prepared because I’ve been competing in 5K races and running more than I did last year. Hopefully the result comes out well, not just for me, but for the whole track team.